I killed hundredvisions.com. Fortunately, it was only mostly dead.
I was updating the site, and I guess I got a little hasty, and the next thing I knew, I had the dreaded message showing:
Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute.
No matter what I tried, to do, that was the only message I had. I couldn’t go back to the dashboard, I couldn’t go to any page. No matter what page I went to, I either got the scheduled maintenance message.
So I did what any tech savvy person would do, I googled the message, and low and behold, I didn’t have to go through my WordPress site pockets and dig for loose change.
All I had to do was the following:
- FTP to the site
- Navigate to the same folder as the wp-config file, and
- delete the .maintenance file from the folder
And voilà, it was back among the living. The problem was that I began an upgrade process, and before it was completed, I navigated away. While it was doing the upgrading process, it put a lock on the site in the form of a file named “.maintenance,” which produced the maintenance note. Unfortunately, the last step of the upgrade process is to remove the .maintenance file. But interrupting the process prevented my WordPress site from removing the “lock.”
As long as that file was present in the folders, it would continue to produce the message, but once I removed the file, we got the site back.
Next time, I’ll make sure all upgrading is done before I try to navigate away.